Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Water Kefir: A Simple Description

I started making water kefir recently for a friend of mine who need the probiotics and didn't want her family to have dairy right now.
This the jar with water kefir grains at the bottom and a mixture of water, sugar, molasses, and lime. The kefir eat the sugar and add a fizziness to the liquid.
This is the jar with its cloth cover to allow the kefir to breathe and not explode and at the same time keeping bugs out.I then place the jar in a cupboard for about 48 hours.

Finally I strain the kefir grains from the liquid and then refrigerate it for something at tastes a bit like flat lime soda. I save the kefir grains for another batch and repeat the process.

When I get my milk kefir grains and kombucha starters, I will tell you more about that.

Here is a great website all about fermented foods: http://www.culturesforhealth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment